The IceCube Masterclass
Your first day as a real researcher
The fifth edition of the IceCube Masterclass program will take place on March 7 and 8, 2018.
The IceCube masterclasses will be held at seventeen research institutions in the US and Europe. We invite our young students—our future scientists—to learn about particle astrophysics by doing real research.
IceCube is an amazing experiment. It is the largest detector ever built, is taking data in the harshest place on Earth, and has observed the highest energy neutrinos ever. Cool, right?
IceCube is a team. A few hundred scientists, with the help of engineers, drillers, IT experts and many other technical staff, have made this project possible. Will you join us?
Participate! You will analyze actual IceCube data: signals from tiny particles, called neutrinos, that have traveled through the Universe over astronomical distances, bringing us information about extreme objects such as black holes or gamma-ray bursts.
What is an IceCube masterclass?
- An opportunity to get out of school and meet IceCube researchers
- An opportunity to learn more about our Universe
- An opportunity to work with international partners
Watch the videos on the right, recorded at Vrije Universiteit Brussel (www.vub.ac.be) during the 2015 edition, to learn more about the masterclass and how much the students liked the experience.
You can participate in an IceCube masterclass if
You are a high school student interested in science, and
You live near one of the hosting IceCube research centers:
- Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (DESY) in Zeuthen, Germany
Erlangen Centre of Astroparticle Physics (ECAP, Friedrich-Alexander-
Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg), Germany
- Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI
- Michigan State University in East Lansing, MI
- Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen, Denmark
- Ohio State University in Columbus, OH
- RWTH Aachen University, Germany
- Stony Brook University, NY
- South Dakota School of Mines and Technology in Rapid City, SD
- Universität Mainz, Germany
- Université de Genéve, Switzerland
- Universität Münster, Germany
- University of Alabama in Tuscalosa, AL
- University of Delaware in Newark, DE
- University of Rochester, NY
- University of Wisconsin–River Falls, WI
- WIPAC at University of Wisconsin–Madison, WI